M.A. Sarah Luft
Südbau, Raum 2.24
New Connectivity in Asia: Pioneering border corridors and transnational transformation processes in the Greater Myeik Area/Myanmar and Prachuap Khiri Khan/Thailand. (working titel)
Main Research Questions
- What (transregional/transnational) transformation processes can be identified along the emerging border corridor?
- What are the cross-border development effects in the region?
- What development alliances, motives and agendas exist for the emerging corridor and who/what are their initiators and drivers?
- Urban and Regional Transformation
- Sustainability and Marine Environmental Conservation
- Tourism (Diving, Nature, Community-Based)
- (Cross)-Border Studies
Scientific Staff (University of Cologne)
Doctoral Candidate, Institute of Geography, University of Cologne
Master of Arts (M.A.): Geography & Cultural Anthropology, University of Cologne
Thesis: “Offshore diving tourism as key factor of regional development at the Andaman Coast. The case of Khao Lak, Phang Nga”
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.): Cultural Anthropology and African Studies & Sociology, Johannes Gutenberg-University Mainz
Study Abroad: Cultural Anthropology, Sociology & Xhosa Language, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University Port Elizabeth
GSGS Fellowship Grant 2019x, Cologne
“IPaK Mobility Grant” for field research on regional development processes in Myeik, Myanmar
“DAAD Travel Grant” for field research on offshore diving tourism as key factor of regional development at the Andaman Coast in Khao Lak, Thailand
- 02-04/2016: Khao Lak, Phang Nga Province (Thailand)
- 09-11/2017: Myeik, Tanintharyi Region (Myanmar)
- 11/2018: Prachuap Khiri Khan, Prachuap Khiri Khan Province (Thailand)
- Graduate School of Geosciences, 7th Research Conference. “New Connectivity in Asia: Pioneering border corridors and transnational transformation processes in the Greater Myeik Area/Myanmar and Prachuap Khiri Khan/Thailand”(Poster), January 2020, Köln.
- 23nd Meeting of the Scientific Research Group on Southeast Asia. German Society of Geography (DGfG). “Pioneer Corridor Development along the Myanmar-Thai border“, May 2019, Vienna.
- DGA Conference on Contemporary Asia. Asia: Global Challenges, Regional Conflicts, and National Logics. “Urban developments in the Greater Myeik Area/Myanmar: Regional transformation potentials and emerging cross-border development”, April 2019, Würzburg.
- 22nd Meeting of the Scientific Research Group on Southeast Asia. German Society of Geography (DGfG). "Transformation Potentials of the Greater Myeik Area: Concepts of Cross-border Development", June 2018. Heidelberg.
- 21st Meeting of the Scientific Research Group on Southeast Asia. German Society of Geography (DGfG). "Offshore Diving Tourism as a Key Factor of Regional Development at the Andaman Coast. The Case of Khao Lak, Phang Nga Province, Thailand", June 2017. Göttingen.
Further Scientific Trainings and Qualifications
- Since January 2020: Member of the GSGS Doctoral Council and deputy doctoral representative on the GSGS Steering Committee
- International Summer School 'Urban Transformations to Sustainability in South and Southeast Asia'. 17th September - 26th September 2018. University of Cologne. Cologne.
- Scientific Writing Course 'How to Write and Publish a Scientific Paper and Scientific Ethics'. 24th April - 26th April 2018. ABC/J Geoverbund. Cologne.
- Workshop 'Improving Presentation Skills'. 7th March 2018. GSGS. Cologne.
- Luft, S., 2019. Neue Funktionen für thailändische Regionen? Aktuelle Entwicklungen und Potentiale in Prachuap Khiri Khan. In: Thailand Rundschau, Vol. 32 (2). 83-86.
- Luft, S., 2016. Begegnungen an der Andamanenküste. In: Thailand Rundschau, Vol. 29 (2), 61-64.
Seminar zur großen Exkursion "Stadt- und Regionalentwicklung im Süden von Myanmar und Thailand"
Seminar: Grenzstädte in Asien und Europa
Seminar: Wirtschaft und Entwicklung
Seminar: Bevölkerung und Stadt