Dr. Nadir Elagib
Zülpicher Straße 45
Sociohydrological analysis of drought resilience in Sahelian Sudan farming systems (SHADRESS), funded by German Research Foundation (DFG)
- Hydrological and climate change and variability (analysis; perception; impacts; adaptation)
- Hydrological extremes (Drought and flood characterization and risks)
- Interactions between land-use/cover changes and hydroclimate
- Evaluation of energy and water balance estimates
- Water-energy-food security nexus
- Water harvesting
- 2002: Ph.D. Division of Civil Engineering and Construction, University of Paisley (now University of the West of Scotland), Scotland, U.K., Thesis: The Effect of Climate Change on Evapotranspiration in Sudan.
- 1995: M.Sc.: Department of Civil & Architectural Engineering, University of Bahrain. Thesis: Study of Hydrological Variations, Drought and Desertification in Sudan.
- 1992: B.Sc.: Department of Civil & Architectural Engineering, University of Bahrain. Senior Project: Hydrological Characteristics of some Regions of Sudan.
- 2020: Guest Scientist, Institute of Geography, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
- 2015-2019: Senior Scientist, Institute for Technology and Resources Management in the Tropics and Subtropics (ITT), Technische Hochschule Köln (University of Applied Sciences), Germany
- 2013-2014: Visiting Professor, Chairholder in “Natural Resources Management in the Context of Global Change”: Center for Natural Resources and Development (CNRD), ITT, CUAS, Germany
- 2011-2013: Experienced Research Fellow of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation: Institute for Technology and Resources Management in the Tropics and Subtropics (ITT), Cologne University of Applied Sciences (CUAS), Germany
- 2010-2011: Assistant Professor: Department of Civil Engineering and Architecture, University of Bahrain (UOB), Bahrain
- 2008 (27 Apr – 3 May): Acting Dean: College of Water & Environmental Engineering, Sudan University of Science and Technology, Sudan
- 2006 (26 Nov – 30 Dec): Acting Dean: College of Water Engineering and Technology, Sudan University of Science and Technology, Sudan
- 2005-2006: Dean: College of Water Science and Technology, Founding Dean: College of Water Engineering and Technology (currently College of Water & Environmental Engineering), Sudan University of Science and Technology, Sudan
- 2003-2006: Head of Department of Hydraulic Structures: College of Water Science and Technology, Sudan University of Science and Technology, Sudan
- 2003-2009: Assistant Professor: College of Water and Environmental Engineering, Sudan University of Science and Technology, Sudan
Publications in refereed Journals and Chapters in refereed books
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-6252-7586
Google Scholar Results: http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?hl=en&user=9X7kyEwAAAAJ
Conferences, workshops and symposia
The effect of climate change on evapotranspiration in Sudan. Research Poster Exhibition 1999, University of Paisley, Scotland, U.K., 24th March 1999. Awarded a Commended Prize.
Estimating global solar radiation across Sudan for evapotranspiration calculations. British Hydrological Society Ninth Postgraduate Symposium, Organized by Water and Environmental Management Research Centre, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK, 29-30 March 1999.
The effect of climate change on evapotranspiration in Sudan. Research Poster Exhibition 2000, University of Paisley, Scotland, U.K., 22nd March 2000. Awarded the Faculty of Engineering Prize.
An overview of desertification and its climatic indicators in Sudan. 3rd Arab Conference on Environment and Natural Resources, Taiz, Republic of Yemen, 3-5th May 2005.
Land degradation and climate change in Sudan. Desertification Workshop, UNESCO Chair for Desert Studies and Desertification Control, Yarmouk University, June 2005.
Additional evidence of changing rainfall resource of Bahrain. First International Conference on Water Resources and Climate Change in the MENA Region, Muscat, Oman, 2-4 November 2008.
Climate warming of the Sahel region of Sudan. 9th Scientific Conference on the Role of Scientific Research in Agricultural Development, under the main theme Towards Agricultural Renaissance for Sustainable Development, Khartoum, Sudan, 22-24 December 2009.
Sulieman, H.M. and Elagib, N.A. Climate and land-use and land-cover changes along livestock migration routes in Eastern Sudan. Climate Change Adaptation in Africa (CCAA) Conference on "Pastoralism and Climate Change Adaptation in Africa", Egerton University, Kenya, 24-28 May 2010.
Climate change and implications for agriculture in central Sudan. ITT Research Dialogue, Cologne University of Applied Sciences, Germany, 12 March 2012.
Crop yield modelling and forecasting for early warning in Sahelian Sudan. Poster, Netwrok Meeting of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Aachen, Germany, 25-27 April 2012.
Al Zayed, I.S., Elagib, N.A., Ribbe, L., Heinrich, J. Analysis of irrigation efficiency using comparative performance indicators: a case study of Gezira Scheme, Sudan. International Conference on New Nile Perspectives - Scientific Advances in the Eastern Nile Basin, Khartoum, Sudan, 6-8 May 2013.
Bussmann, A., Elagib, N.A., Ribbe, L. and Fayyad, M. Comparison of indicators for determining the sowing date of rainfed sorghum in El Gedaref, Sudan. International Conference on New Nile Perspectives - Scientific Advances in the Eastern Nile Basin, Khartoum, Sudan, 6-8 May 2013.
Climate variability, land use and food crop yield in the Eastern Nile Basin. Global Water System Project (GWSP) international conference entitled, “Water in the Anthropocene: Challenges for Science and Governance. Indicators, Thresholds and Uncertainties of the Global Water System”. Special Session: Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus in the Eastern Nile Basin, Bonn, Germany, 21-24 May 2013.
Al Zayed, I.S., Elagib, N.A., Ribbe, L. Dynamics in lake area at Er Roseires Dam as extracted from satellite images. The Second New Nile Conference "New Nile Opportunities: Scientific advances towards Prosperity in the Eastern Nile Basin" December 8 -9, 2014, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Climate risk and corresponding farmers' perception and responses in Sudan: Lessons for climate change. Training Workshop on Mainstreaming Climate Change in the formulation of Natural Resources Management Strategies & Action Plans. CNRD Climate Change Training Workshop Khartoum, Water Research Center, University of Khartoum, October 22-24, 2015.
Elagib, N.A., Musa, A.A., Sulieman, H.M. Socio-hydrological framework of farmer-drought feedback: Darfur as a case study. Accepted for publication in a Springer Book for the International Water Conference entitled "Water Conference in Arid Areas: The Way Forward", March 13-16, 2016, Muscat, Oman.
Advancing the use of climatic water balance in drought assessments: A multi-criteria drought index. Water Accounting and Balance Using Advanced Tools Workshop, Water Research Center, University of Khartoum, November 14-17, 2016.
Fink, A.H., Elagib, N.A., Engel, T., Seregina, L. Monitoring rainfall trends and extremes in South Sudan and Sudan using daily station and satellite rainfall data for 1983-2013. 22nd Conference on Applied Climatology, 96th AMS Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, 10-14 January 2016.
Elagib, N.A. and Al Zayed, I.S. Increasing urban heat island and human discomfort call for mitigation measures in the built environment. The 2nd event of the engineering researchers, Sudanese Researchers Foundation (SRF), 28-30 December 2017, Khartoum, Sudan.
Elagib, N.A., Al Zayed, I.S., Karimi, P. 2019. Satellite-based assessment of the performance of main irrigated schemes in the Nile Basin. Cairo Water Week 2019 (the 2nd CWW), October 20-24, Cairo, Egypt. Participation sponsored by Food and Agriculture Organization, Cairo Office.
Basheer, M., Harou, J., Wheeler, K., Elagib, N., Zagona, E., Abdo, G. and Etichia, M., 2020. Multiple constraints and objectives should inform the negotiated filling of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam. EGU General Assembly 2020, Online, 4-8 ay 2020, EGU2020-19973, DOI: 10.5194/egusphere-egu2020-19973.
Invited scientific talks and organization of workshops
Drought tendencies in central Sudan. Invited presentation, University of Gezira, Faculty of Agriculture, Sudan, April 2009.
Performance of climate in Sahelian Sudan and implications for agricultural yield. Invited Seminar, International Meteorological Institute, Department of Meteorology, Stockholm University, Stockholm, University, Stockholm, Sweden, 6 March 2012.
Crop yield forecasting for Sahelian Sudan: an example of research at the ITT on the Water-Food-Security Nexus. ITT Symposium on “Research for the Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus, Cologne University of Applied Sciences, Germany, 19 March 2012.
Climate risk to vegetation greening and crop yield in Sahelian Sudan. Sudanese Meteorological Society, Khartoum, Sudan, 10 October 2013.
Indictors for early warning of crop yield using ground-based and remote sensing data. Sudanese Meteorological Society, Khartoum, Sudan, 15 May 2014.
Towards a research strategy for drought assessment in the Sahel. ITT Symposium on Coping with Climate Extremes, TH Köln, Cologne, Germany, 24 September 2015.
Fundamentals and Ethics of Scientific Research. Training Workshop I organized at the Regional Centre for Capacity Development and Research in Water Harvesting (RCWH), Ministry of Water Resources, Irrigation and Electricity, Sudan, 2 August 2017.
Scientific Research and Writing. A workshop I organized at the Hydraulic Research Institute (HRC), Ministry of Water Resources, Irrigation and Electricity, Wad Medani, Sudan, 5-6 March 2018.
Rainfall climate and variability in Sudan with a special reference to Sahel zone. 29 May 2018, Institute of Meteorology and Climate Research, Department Troposphere Research (IMK-TRO), Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany.
Research funding and marketing of outputs. Workshop on Water Resources Planning and Management: Challenges and Solutions Opportunities. Ministry of Irrigation and Water Resources, 30-31 December 2019, Khartoum, Sudan, (in Arabic).